Friday, March 25, 2011

Lessons Learned Along the Road

It’s been about 6 months since I put in to words one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I’ve learned so much since then! I’ve met so many moms through ICAN and other mommy-networks that have been responsible for igniting a passion in me to educate myself and my family on why attempting a VBAC is right for me. Originally, I thought I would just find an OB that would be VBAC friendly and I would move in to having a better hospital birth experience in the same setting I did before. Boy was I wrong. It’s not that easy.

I met with the OB who I originally thought was part of a VBAC friendly practice and hospital, but quickly found out that those were wrong assumptions and you can’t trust everything you find on the ICAN website. The women of the ICAN have been so honest and forth coming with me about their experiences and recommendations and through their wisdom, I have become more empowered than ever to make my own decisions instead of trusting our medical system.

While visiting the original OB, she made a good point that has stuck with me. I want a VBAC, that much is clear, but I have to consider that maybe I was supposed to end up in a c-section, regardless of how I feel about it. I can never know the answer, only God does, and according to His plan, I had the birth with Clint that I was supposed to. Like I’ve said before, I know I can’t guarantee the vaginal birth I want, but I can do everything in my power to make it happen. After much considering, my husband and I decided we’d like to try birthing in a hospital again. Do you know how large the metroplex is? Can you imagine that there are only 2 OBGYNs that have great VBAC rates?! Both of these doctors are 50+ miles from our home. From the beginning of my research, I quickly realized I wanted to work with a midwife mindset more than a physician mindset and our desire to birth in a hospital has lead us to a Nurse-Midwife group that is about 23 miles from our home. They deliver at the third baby friendly hospital named in Texas. I visit the nurse-midwife group on April 26th to have my IUD removed and see if this is the right fit for me, my husband and our next baby. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: