Sunday, March 27, 2011

Birth Center vs. Hosptial

There are a lot of debates about a birth center versus a hospital.   I think you know by now that our hospital experience wasn't ideal.  So why would I want to do it again?

First of all, I'm not set on it.  I'm hoping it could work out, but I am very aware that I could go to this nurse-midwife appointment and realize that this isn't for me.  And Daddy B will be there too, it could not be right for him either.

Second, like I said in my previous post, those two other OB's are 50+ miles away.  I've heard from a few different mamas that the driving distance is worth it to get the birth you want.  I'm not sure if we will be looking directly to an OB if the Nurse-Midwife group doesn't work out or if we will start looking in to birth centers closer to our home.

Why am I considering another hospital birth in the first place?  Here's what's on my mind:
  1. I was raised by a nurse who taught me to trust our medical system.  Now I know this system failed me last time (for the most part), but I also still have faith in our trained medical personnel. Amiga C is a nurse, my mother is a nurse... I trust nurses and doctors who are like them.   I just don't know if I got the best pick the first time.
  2. I feel a little pressure.  Aunt K has told me many times that she wouldn't feel comfortable without a NICU close.  Would I?  I haven't explored how I feel on this completely but I'm afraid that she could have a point.  I think I need to interview a birthing center to be sure.  
  3. I don't know if Daddy B would feel comfortable in a birth center.  I haven't directly asked him.  I guess I plan to do that if the Nurse-Midwife group doesn't work.
  4. When I visited that first OB, she made a good point about a birth center I was considering.  She said, "The biggest piece of advice I can give you about using a birth center is to make sure they have doctor backing at a hospital in case you end up in a c-section."
  5. It scares me to think that I could be laboring in a birth center and realize I need a c-section, only for an ambulance to have to be called and go through a scary ride to an OR.  After the traumatic experience last time... I just couldn't imagine adding that on to it.
I'd welcome advice on this issue.  I don't plan on moving forward with a decision until I explore this Nurse-Midwife group next month.  Know of any good Birthing Centers in DFW? Centrally located?

P.S.  No matter what, we will be using doula.  Just thought you'd like to know.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm "pro-you" and think that you and Daddy B will make the best decision and do what feels right. I think that will be your goal for this time because you had so many decisions taken away from you last time, that it's time to have your opinions heard and that also means exploring all options. Love you!

AnotherTeenMom said...

A doula is a GREAT thing to have. I wish i could have had one, but my finances were so stressed from traveling so far just to have the baby... Thankfully, my friend who accompanied me had listened to me drone on and on enough about birth, pregnancy, babies (I am a doula) that she did really well!